The Good Samaritan Center will be hosting the third Community Connection event to take place Friday, October 25, 2019 from 10:00 am-2:00 pm in the Great Hall of the Good Samaritan Center. This event began when the community received a grant of $10,000 through the Missouri Housing Development Commission to develop a one-day event aimed to providing direct services to the homeless and those who are at risk of becoming homeless in the Excelsior Springs area.
Open to the public, multiple organizations plan to be present on October 25 to offer support to those in need, no appointment necessary:
• Catholic Charities – help for homeless veterans
• Crescent Lake Christian Center – transportation to obtain documents or shelter
• Community Action Agency of GKC – help with housing and utilities
• Excelsior Springs Housing Authority – help with housing
• Missouri Valley – help with housing, emergency assistance, and utilities
• MAAC – help with utilities, LIHEAP, and ECIP applications
• Northland Healthcare Access – providing medical needs of those who are uninsured
• Vocational Rehabilitation – helping find work for those who are disabled
• Jirah’s Hair Salon – providing free haircuts
• K-9 Clips – providing free animal/pet nail clippings
• Clay County Health Department – birth certificates
• Good Samaritan Center – help for those needing emergency assistance, utilities, housing, and personal care needs
With the event being held at the Good Samaritan Center, citizens will have access to the thrift store if they are in need of clothing or coats, prior to the weather turning cold. Participants will also be given access to the food pantry and the hygiene closet.
The Excelsior Springs Hospital has provided for a meal to be offered to those who are hungry. The hospital has donated this meal each time there has been a community connection event. The Excelsior Springs Job Corps Culinary Arts students have always been present to serve the meal. The Job Corps will also provide security for the event through their Safety and Security classes.
To volunteer or for more information on this event, please contact Jen Chappel at 816-630-2718, ext. 23, or Courtney Cole at 816-517-8196.